Wealthy Affiliate has gone through several major changes from the time it was just a keyword list service back in 2005. We are going to take a thorough look at what the platform has evolved into today. I am going to point out the good, the bad, and the ugly about this community in a Wealthy Affiliate review for 2020. Without further ado let’s get right into it.
What is Wealthy Affiliate?
Wealthy Affiliate Is a community of people striving to make money online. The goal of Wealthy Affiliate is to teach passive income techniques so that its members can make money online (MMO) and enjoy a renewable passive income. The facts:
Company name: Wealthy Affiliate
Year started: 2005
Owners: Kyle and Carson
Members: Over 1.3 Million members
Website URL: www.wealthyaffiliate.com
Membership Cost: Free for starter members. $49.00 / Month or $495.00 / Year for Premium accounts.
This really is a Wealthy Affiliate review for 2020 because Wealthy Affiliate is a growing community that is ever-changing and has an expanding knowledge base. Wealthy Affiliate is set up to grow and self improve on its own under the guidance of its founders.
As you grow and learn as a marketer you are given the option to put forth training on any related topics that you seem to think others might want to know. An example of that may be making a video tutorial about setting up an Instagram account. How to make an account may be covered under normal training but you might have the tips to get the followers and turn it into a solid traffic stream to your site.
With the internet growing as fast as it is there will always be new platforms and ways to go about maximizing traffic to your website that can then be turned into passive income.
The Tools Offered at Wealthy Affiliate
There are several things that someone needs in order to be successful online. Wealthy Affiliate does its best to be a one stop shop for all things needed to succeed online as an affiliate marketeer. Just the basics. They offer the following services all included in the premium membership:
- Web Hosting of 1 free .siterubix.com domains or 10 .com/org/net websites that you own.
- 24 hours a day 7 days a week tech support for your site
- Free SSL security
- The ability to buy domain names to be hosted at Wealthy Affiliate. The price is between $13.99-15.99 a year depending on the type of domain purchased. (.com, .org, .net) You can purchase them for many years at a time if you choose. Wealthy Affiliate locks in the domain name price so you will never get hit with higher fees to renew, which is a sad practice some domain purchase sites have started using. They have you buy a domain for $1 and then when you go to renew it is $45.
- Training that starts all the way back to the basics.
- Picking a Niche or topic for your website
- Choosing a domain name
- Loading a word press theme
- How to research Keyword that will drive traffic
- How to write engaging content
- They also have keyword software to help you find the keywords that will rank the highest on Google. The software is Jaaxy found at https://www.jaaxy.com/ . It is a research tool and every member of Wealthy Affiliate receives Jaaxy Lite with their premium membership. Google has tools as well but some find jaaxy more user-friendly. Jaaxy Lite lets you:
- Check your website posts for site rank (what page they show up on) in google / Bing / Yahoo.
- Search for keywords and save the ones with good ratings. Shows you how many searches there are for the words and how many other people are using them as a keyword for their posts. A very valuable tool to have as part of premium.
- Search analysis to look for trending keywords
- Alphabet soup to help you come up with long-tail keywords
- Find affiliate programs based on what keywords you are using for your niche
- Host your websites, up to 10 on their platform. No need to have separate hosting somewhere else if you go premium.
- Live Chat that is open 24/ 7 /365 to all Wealthy Affiliate premium members to talk and share. (starter members have access to chat for a period of one week to ask questions of premium members and get guidance on the lessons.) A great place to slip in and ask a question if something about the training is unclear or you have an issue with your theme that wasn’t covered in the general training.
- Live webinar training EVERY Friday with the Wealthy Affiliate trainer to cover advanced topics on subjects we face as online Entrepreneurs. The webinars come with a live chat so you can ask questions during Q and A at the end and have your questions answered on the spot. Every webinar is recorded and added to the archives so there are literally hundreds of hours of webinars ready for your viewing pleasure as soon as you go premium.
- Two types of Original training:
- Online Entrepreneur Certification (OEC) is designed to help you grow a website of your own topic of choosing or niche of your choice. This is the training to help you have your own blog, or review site, or online store, video library etc. It has 5 phases and 50 lessons total
- The Affiliate Bootcamp training: 7 phases with 70 lessons and is geared towards those who want to make a website for the promotion of Wealthy Affiliate. This is a great program for those who don’t really have a niche or topic that they want to dedicate a website to, but still want an online business.
- Site feedback. They have a place on the forums for you to show off your site and receive feedback so that you can find out if there are issues the public finds when going to your site.
- Site comments. There are places in Wealthy Affiliate to put your website up for people to read your newest posts and leave comments on them. It is a great way to get conversations going on your site.
- Membership prices: There are ZERO up sales after the membership price. Wealthy Affiliate started as a Keyword site and grew into what it is today without the prices going up. Imagine what it will be in a few more years all for the same price.
- NO UP SALES. The only thing they will suggest is going premium as a starter account is very limited. Once you go premium, there is no up sales. They even give you a discount on your first month so you can use your savings towards the price of your very own domain name. If you do decide to go premium for 6 months to a year you actually save money on those months.
- Question places in every step of training. When you ask a question in training it flags it and leaves a link to your questions so everyone who is logged in sees it on their dashboard. Normally find an answer within minutes from the Wealthy Affiliate community.
- An organized Dashboard. When you sign in there is your dashboard that organizes everything into categories and subcategories to make getting around very user-friendly. Topics on your dashboard include training, websites, live events, research, live chat, and help center. There is even a place to watch a video on a live tour of how to get around easily in Wealthy affiliate. It is very user-friendly.
- Personal Mentoring. The owners of the company actually stop into live chat and answer questions about the platform or anything related to your personal website. They are known to put out challenges and work closely with those involved to make sure their needs are being met and answer as many questions as they can in training.
- Networking. You are going to meet people from all walks of life who are just starting out to those who have mastered the art of working online and have become millionaires as a result. You will be amazed at the people you will meet and the help they can give if you just take the time to be friendly and put yourself out there.
- Each step of training has a video built in to explain the lesson in detail as you watch Kyle do the lesson on one of his very own websites. Nothing makes it easier to learn something than watching.
- Personal profile. You can link your sites and give a daily blog all within your personal profile. It is up to you how much you want to communicate with the community. You can also put out your personal training on a topic after you have been premium for 3 months. They limit it to people over 3 months to avoid spamming situations
- Site Content Platform. You don’t have to work in word press or a program like Word. Site content has a built-in writing platform that you can use to write content. There are templates available to guide you along on keyword-rich content, or you can start with a clean slate.
- Free Pictures. You don’t have to make or take your own pictures with Wealthy Affiliate. They offer millions of free pictures on their site content platform. It is all included in the premium price.
- Starter membership. Wealthy Affiliate allows you to try their platform in a limited way for one week. You will have access to the first round of OEC training and the chatroom. You don’t even have to bring a credit card. Just log in and start the training. It will explain what affiliate marketing is and then you can choose if it is something you want to do.
That is a brief overview of what the tools are at your disposal if you become a member of wealthy affiliate. Let us take a look at the overall picture of wealthy affiliate. The good, the bad, and the Ugly!
If you are just starting out and have no clue how MMO (making money online) is done, getting the starter membership and learning more is perfect for you. In the first lessons you are shown in the training video is what affiliate marketing is, and how you can use it to make money using just about any topic as a niche for a website. Turn your hobbies into a niche website. If there is a topic right now that you want to Google then someone has made it into a niche website. You can too!
If you know a bit more about online marketing or are an avid surfer of YouTube channels about MMO this is a great place for you to put down roots and take advantage of all the tools that are here for the using. Everything you need to know to take the knowledge that you have and expand on it.
Within a handful of lessons you will have a niche website up and running and work on good SEO (Search Engine Optimization) practices growing your organic traffic. Watch the webinars that are put together by people who do only affiliate marketing for a living. Read member’s blogs and get a network of people around you for help and encouragement but most of all guidance that you just can’t get by watching YouTube alone.
If you are a seasoned veteran of making money online then you already know the great price to value ratio that is being offered in the Tools of Wealthy Affiliate. This would be a great place for you to set up shop and keep your skills sharp with updated training and networking. You are in a position to both give and receive value from the community of wealthy affiliate. You can always find new training on topics you might not use yourself online that can open new doors to making money different ways online.
There are actually a large percentage of people who set out to make money online and just are not successful at it. This can be for several reasons. There are a lot of companies out there that suck people in and spit them out and all they wanted was the money from their funnels and they put little investment into their people.
Scams are normally easy to spot because they are the ones telling you that you can be a millionaire doing 4 hours of work a week from the luxury of your laptop at the beach. Let me just say a laptop at the beach is a bad idea and a great way to ruin a laptop. Sand and water are both very bad for the smooth operation of the laptop.
Getting back to what we are talking about, people fail at making money online. Expectation is a crusher of dreams. If you are not willing to put in the work, to watch, and do the training you will not succeed. There are no hidden items in the training like “Spend $2,000 for the secrets to make this work.” You will learn how to make organic traffic come to your site through good, organic, SEO methods. There are no up sales in the training, but they also lack the ability for getting rich quickly with no work either.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) methods can take a while to get moving and get you the revenue that you want. It works because you have to continue to put out good quality content and posts on your website. Three posts a week or more is normally the suggested amount. Sorry, there is work to be done in order to be successful.
Some people are incapable of making quality content no matter how much effort they might put into making a site. Wealthy Affiliate is an English-speaking platform and the training is in English. If you are guilty of bad grammar and broken English then making a website successful may be a hard task. You would absolutely have to find and editor or translator to make it work.
It may very well take you up to a year, working hard for several hours a week, to make the type of money that you would consider a second income. How fast you succeed is dependent on so many factors but you shouldn’t expect returns in your hard work for at least a few months.
Many people are too impatient and will quit if they haven’t made money online in a few months. The normal rule of thumb is to give yourself a year of quality work to see if you are going to be successful at making money online. That is true whether you are at Wealthy Affiliate or elsewhere.
Anyone telling you that they can show you how to have a website making $10,000 a month for you by next weekend is either a liar, or they did all the groundwork and want you to pay to advertise their product for a percentage of the sales. It takes months and months to learn for yourself how to make a working site that can generate an income off of the traffic. It is the difference between teaching someone to fish or handing them a fish.
Learning new things is hard, especially if you are trying to teach an old dog new tricks. That is my case. I am part of the over 40 crowds. More about me here. Not only do you have to learn about marketing but you have to work on a website putting out the layout the way that you want it to be. It is going to take giving yourself the time and patience to learn all that. Don’t worry about it, it is all in the training for you to do.
There are several things you need to be in order to make this work for you. You need to be an independent person who is willing to work at something until they can figure it out or make it work. Help is always given but no one will do the job for you. You have to be able to see the big picture. You can be financially free, and make a living online, if you are willing to stay the course.
You can’t quit before the miracle happens. Keep your eyes on your prize. Don’t compare what everyone else is doing to your own success. Some times the grass is greener in someone else yard because it is full of bull crap. You need to keep yourself encouraged. You have to find ways to move forward when your mind is telling you to give up it is too hard.
A Wealthy Affiliate review for 2020 would not be honest and complete without the ugly parts being talked about honestly.
First things first, Wealthy Affiliate is online. People tend to take liberties online when they think they are more anonymous than face to face. They tend to not keep their egos in check the same way they would with their peers at a face to face gathering.
There are no active on-site admins. If you have a problem you have to private message the owners Carson and Kyle. They receive thousands of private messages so it may take time for them to get back to you. They also have a tendency to just take action and not reply. Sometimes you don’t know if an issue with a member is taken care of or not.
There is a no spam clause with details about what is not allowed in Wealthy Affiliate. Sometimes members seem to come down too hard on someone who made a mistake for not knowing the rules, while ignoring someone who has been around for a while who is knowingly spamming. Being well-known and liked shouldn’t change the rules and playing favorites is wrong.
When someone is a repeat offender of being rude they may get warnings from the owners. It may take several people reporting someone to have anything really done about it. Wealthy Affiliate doesn’t want to lose people by banning them if they can help it.
Nightly there are people who come on the platform and make starter accounts in order to use the blog feature to make an advertisement for a product. Normally these adds are gambling, girls, offers to do writing or homework. These normally get flagged rather quickly and are taken down. Flagging a post as spam also will make it get removed when enough people do it.
Wealthy Affiliate is a kind of self-governing environment with owners overseeing it all.
Chat rooms can be a great place to make friends and get quick answers to the questions you have along the way. With all the starter members having access to chat for a week you can get a lot of the same questions over and over.
- How much money do you make?
- Is it a scam?
- is anyone really making money?
- Do we know about some other programs named ___?
- Prove you make money!
- How much does WA pay me?
Some can come in and get belligerent about wanting proof. For the most part chat can be filled with people who have been with WA less than 2 years. A lot of the old-timers there will watch chat but don’t like to get involved in talking in it every day. They normally just jump in when someone has a question that is getting no answers.
People do not talk about money much in WA. The reason can be two fold. First if you are making really good money you don’t want to put that out there because people will try to get all the secrets you have out of you that they feel they are missing from the training. Most of the really successful people will simply say “follow the training, it is what I did.” The second reason they don’t talk about it is they do not feel they are making enough to share.
Another problem you find with chat are the people who are new trying to give advice. I love someone who hasn’t done the training yet tell someone they will find the answer in the training. There are normally enough people around that know what’s going on to give the correct answers to problems..
Some people treat WA like it is Facebook. They seem more interested in the community than they do trying to get a living from their websites. I guess if you want to pay $49 / month to hang out in chat that is up to you.
Whether you are starting out or been at affiliate marketing for a while, I think you can find good value at Wealthy Affiliate. Overall I would rank WA 4.8 / 5 stars. If you are willing to put in the work it is a place with everything you need to make a successful business. It is mostly geared towards affiliate marketing but they also have training from the members on almost every style of making money including woo commerce. This is the system that I use so I would be able to give you a hand if you wanted to use the system as well. Leave me a comment with any questions you might have below. -Waldmann